China denies involvement in Google cyberattacks
China’s government has issued statements denying any state involvement in the cyberattacks on Google and defending its online censorship.
The statements come nearly two weeks after Google threatened to pull out of the country after finding that e-mail accounts belonging to human rights activists had been compromised.
In a statement posted to China’s official Web site, the State Council Information Office defended China’s regulation of the Internet as legal and said it should be free of interference from outside parties.
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton formally denounced Internet censorship in a speech Thursday that was directed both at the private and public sectors. For corporations, she said, “Censorship should not be accepted by any company from anywhere. American companies need to make a principled stand.”
Google disclosed the attacks targeting it and other U.S. companies on January 12 and said the attacks originated in China. The company said it discovered the attacks in mid-December and while it did not specifically implicate the Chinese government, it says that as a result of the incidents, it may withdraw from doing business in China.
Source code was stolen from some of more than 30 Silicon Valley companies targeted in the attack, sources said. Adobe Systems has confirmed that it was targeted by an attack, and sources have said Yahoo, Symantec, Juniper Networks, Northrop Grumman, and Dow Chemical also were targets.